So you're telling me that I'm supposed to leave this three-month old child--nay, baby--with strangers for six hours a day? That's I'm supposed to hope that she will get a modicum of attention in a room of nine other babies, some sitting, some crawling, some that can't hold their own heads up yet?
I know, I know. This is a first-world problem. I had 10 out of 12 weeks of my maternity leave paid for by my company, and my boss is beyond supportive of work/life balance. She's agreed to let me go down to 30 hours a week, work from home when possible, and take advantage of flexible scheduling. I can pick up Av at day care at 2:00 and still have the afternoon to play and go on walks. We can financially afford for me to go down to 30 hours. In all these things I am luckier than most.
I want to keep working. I don't want to walk away from my career because I am not convinced that I will get it back. But how I want to spend my time has radically changed. I, like every other working mom, surely, want it all. (Except for pumping. I don't want to have to pump twice a day at work. Oy vey.)
When I really want to punish myself, I think about how this is likely the only time in her life that I will have months to spend with her without day care or school.
I just wish I had three more months with her. Three months seems so young, so little. I have been dreading this transition. But I'm sure that after a couple weeks we'll have settled into a routine that works for all of us.

I love her fingers in this picture. Studying her bear. This has to be one of the hardest things you will do in life. I'm proud of you though Cami. You are a great mom to this little doll.
ReplyDelete