Thursday, January 28, 2010

Observations, asides, and odds and ends, all without segues.

  • My walking soundtrack for today was Bon Jovi's Greatest Hits. Gives new meaning to the word "great," and if you disagree, I will fight you. Bon Jovi has a soft place in my heart--I'm talking about the days of Jon Bon Jovi's lion's mane, not the era of JBJ with a Meg Ryan-'do (c. 2000-present). New Jersery was my first "cool" tape; I got it in fifth grade, and the only other tapes I had at the time were Whitney Houston and Madonna. My cousin and I used to have contests to see who could spell JBJ's name out loud the fastest. J-O-N-B-O-N-J-O-V-I. Try it; it's fun.
  • I cannot get enough citrus right now--mandarin oranges, tangerines, minneolas (cross between grapefruit and tangerine). I've long stayed away from citrus because of the stringiness factor; in fact, when I get rich, instead of hiring a grape-pealer, I'm going to have an orange de-stringer. But since taste > stringiness, I'm eating them with abandon right now. However, my old foe has returned. Anytime I eat anything citrus-related (I believe some of you will remember the bus ride to the canoe trip and a roll of SweetTarts), I clam up. My face and my palms get clammy. But as I thought then and still do now: worth it.
  • My office is full of the biggest bunch of socially maladjusted people I've ever met. I have never been in a public situation--I'm talking airports, malls, neighborhood streets--where people seem to go out of their way to ignore you when you walk by. This is a society, people: we don't have to be friends (we all just breathed a sigh of relief), but we do have to be civil. No need for small talk or pleasantries. Just smile. (You think I'm exaggerating; little do you know that editors are barely one rung up the social latter from video-gamers. Seriously.)
  • I love Eve Ensler (author of "The Vagina Monologues"), and if I ever have a daughter, this is what I want for her: "The verb that's been enforced on girls is 'to please.' Girls are trained to please...I want us all to change the verb. I want the verb to be educate, or activate, or engage, or confront, or defy, or create." In the meantime, I want it for all of you daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment