For some reason, perhaps because I spend half of my waking life there, Target seems to be a prime location for me to practice my do-gooding. I have rescued more than one lost kid in a Target. Today, I rescued someone's dignity.
I grocery shop at a SuperTarget (produce department is a bit scanty, but overall I recommend), and sometimes afterwards I stop at the in-store Starbys for a frappuchino. A tall mocha light frap is only 1.5 points--I can spare that. Today, as I walked to the counter, I noticed something amiss with the woman's pants in front of me. She was about my age, with a 9-mo-old baby in her cart. When I got closer, I noticed that her pants were ripped on the right butt. Her underwear situation was in peril.
Namely, because I'm not sure there was any. I sure wasn't seeing any through the three-inch rip. All skin.
When I told her that her pants were ripped, she looked at me like I was making it up. Then she kinda looked like I was suggesting her ass was too big for those pants and that's why they ripped. It was really odd--kind of accusatory. The Starbys worker joined the conversation when she turned her backside to him (accidentally) and was like, Wow, you can really see a lot. (Maybe she was irritated that I didn't tell her in a quiet voice? That I let the Starbys guy overhear? Sorry, lady. Next time I won't say nuthin.)
This girl was mortified, as you would be. I asked the Starbys worker for a stapler and offered to staple the girl's pants. Now she looked at me like I was suggesting that I should staple her pants to her actual body. But, thinking on it now, maybe it was more of a look of, You're not in charge here; you can't just decide to staple my pants.
Well, I'm a problem solver. I was trying to solve the problem.
Instead, the Starbys worker offered her an apron to tie around her waist, which she did, and then she continued her shopping. And I have a feeling once she got home and saw how big the rip was--and how much skin was showing--she wanted to die. And thought about all the errands she had already run that day with her booty exposed.
No comments:
Post a Comment